Planning for Opportunity
Gulf Coast Sustainable Communities will bring the 3 coastal counties and 11 coastal municipalities together in a comprehensive regional planning process that aims to:
- Lower transportation and housing costs by creating better connections between where people live and work.
- Develop in ways that value the natural environment, understanding that regional prosperity is dependent on our many environmental assets.
- Improve air quality by making buildings more energy efficient and reducing vehicle miles traveled.
- Create a broad range of employment and business opportunities by coordinating land-use, transportation and infrastructure planning.
- Improve regional health by ensuring that all communities have access to fresh food, safe recreation, open space, medical care, and clean air and water.
The planning process will be a collaborative, broad-based effort, understanding that the success of the final Plan rests on the extent of stakeholder input and decision making. This Plan is key to strengthening the regional economy, improving quality of life for residents, and creating a more sustainable regional future.